When kids engage in sports activities, they are doing something incredibly positive for their bodies. Keeping kids active is important, and making sure that they’re engaging in sports and physical activities safely is even more important. Take the following steps to ensure your child’s health and safety. We are Kid’s Academy day care. We have two locations, in Peekskill, NY and Monroe, CT.
- Remember to warm your kids up. Before playing a sport or running for exercise, kids need to warm up properly in order to prevent injury. Check with your child’s coach to make sure kids are being taught the importance of warming up.
- Keep hydrating! Dehydration can happen very quickly in hot weather, especially when kids are physically active and not aware of the importance of drinking water. Send your kids to their activities with a bottle of water, and follow up with coaches and volunteers to make sure they are checking in with kids to fill and refill those bottles throughout practice.
- Resting is key. To help your kids avoid overusing or injuring joints and muscles, encourage them to take breaks during practice, and to take a day or two off from their favorite physical activity each week. Ask your child regularly if she is feeling any pain or soreness, especially if she is young and may not communicate this information proactively.
- Wear the right gear. Make sure your child is wearing shoes, helmets, and guards that fit properly and are in good condition. As your child grows, invest in new equipment to ensure a safer experience when playing sports.
- Look out for signs of a concussion. After a blow to the head, a headache, temporary loss of consciousness, confusion, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting are signs that a concussion may be present. When in doubt, take your child to the doctor.
What do you do to keep your children healthy and safe during sporting practice and activities? Making sure young children are hydrated and not in pain can be a challenge, so let us know your tips in the comments section! If you are looking for quality day care in the Monroe, CT or Peekskill, NY areas, give us a call and schedule a tour of our facility.