If you had a chance to read our last blog, then you already know that teaching music to young children is very important. It teaches patience, helps them to do better in other areas of education, improves memory, and builds confidence, but that isn’t all that it can do! The following is a list of the rest of the reasons as to why we include music in our pre-kindergarten curriculum in Peekskill and Monroe:
- Social skills- When kids learn music with other kids, they learn how to work together and communicate effectively with one another. Within their team, your child will also learn about what it takes to be a leader.
- Discipline- Discipline is a difficult concept to teach a child, but music can help. Many children are naturally excited and curious about musical instruments, and while encouraging them to practice won’t always be easy, it usually won’t be too much of a struggle. The discipline that a child will learn from practicing music will help them to learn how to study and practice discipline in other areas of their life as well.
- Empathy- Music is a big part of almost every culture, and when you teach a child about music, it helps them to learn empathy for other cultures and people everywhere.
- Recovery from mistakes- Mistakes happen when playing music. Music is a valuable tool for teaching children how to learn from their mistakes and move on.
- Self expression- Music is a wonderful outlet for self-expression. It teaches children how to express who they are, in a safe, creative, and productive way.